How to Plan for Pregnancy
For many women, learning how to plan for pregnancy can be overwhelming. Our goal at Honu Women’s Health is to support our patients throughout every stage of life, including the time you have to plan for starting or expanding your family. Preconception counseling is an important aspect of family planning that allows you to optimize your health before embarking on a pregnancy journey. Our board-certified OB/GYN, Dr. Aya Sultan, who has more than 20 years of experience in women’s health care, can provide peace of mind by working together with you to plan for a happy, healthy pregnancy.
The Importance of Pre-Pregnancy Counseling
Pre-pregnancy care is important to improve health outcomes for mother and baby before, during, and after pregnancy and involves your OB/GYN working to understand your total body health and lifestyle in order to address risk factors, provide resources, and optimize health.
If you are considering having a baby or are trying to get pregnant, discussions and counseling before you get pregnant can be a helpful first step. Preconception counseling is particularly important for women at an advanced maternal age or who are more likely to have high-risk pregnancies. Dr. Sultan can help create a personalized plan and connect you with the proper resources to help you conceive and carry the pregnancy.
What to Expect at Your Appointment
Pre-pregnancy care is the care that you receive ahead of conception and it has been shown to increase the chance of having a healthy baby. It is important to receive preconception care that is individualized to your unique health situation. Dr. Sultan will start by working to understand your overall health and health history in order to create a plan that works best for your needs.
At your pre-pregnancy appointment, you will:
- Discuss your medications or current medical conditions in case changes need to be made ahead of pregnancy. It is important to continue to manage medical conditions and to understand how medications may impact your chances of getting pregnant or your pregnancy experience.
- Discuss lifestyle and daily habits including nutrition, sleeping habits, and exercise patterns. It is extremely important to share with Dr. Sultan if you regularly smoke, drink, or use certain drugs, and also discuss any environmental factors you are routinely in contact with that may expose you to toxic substances.
- Learn ways to optimize fertility by taking prenatal vitamins and eating nutrient-rich foods.
- Have a physical exam which may include a pap test, blood pressure check, height and weight measurement, and an assessment of your heart, lungs, breasts, thyroid, and abdomen.
- Discuss charting your menstrual cycle and how to detect ovulation. Understanding your personal menstrual cycle can help you identify your most fertile days of the month which can help increase your chances of getting pregnant.
- Discuss your partner’s contribution and ways to optimize sperm health.
Hormone Health Checks
After analyzing your health, Dr. Sultan may also assess your hormone levels. This is a common practice that is used if you have been unable to conceive within a certain amount of time or to analyze other risk factors. After assessing your natural hormone levels, Dr. Sultan may prescribe hormone therapy or fertility treatments to trigger ovulation.
Find Your Inner Health and Outer Beauty™
Achieving Your Best Pre-Pregnancy and Pregnancy Health
At Honu Women’s Health, we prioritize personalized obstetric care. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to pregnancy or pregnancy planning, so we make sure to intently listen to your requests and work hand-in-hand with you to develop a pregnancy and birth plan in which you can feel confident. Throughout your pregnancy journey, we will work with you to provide a happy, healthy, and exceptional birth experience.
Get the Best Obstetric Care
At your preconception counseling appointment, Dr. Sultan can answer any questions that you may have about pregnancy and becoming pregnant. Once you become pregnant, you will enjoy a seamless transition to obstetrical care as a patient of Honu Women’s Health.
We are a full-service provider of pregnancy-related care through nutrition counseling, genetic testing, birth planning, and more. We will also monitor your health through monthly appointments up to 28 weeks, bi-monthly appointments from 29-36 weeks, and weekly appointments starting at 37 weeks.
Honu Concierge OB™ Membership Program
We are also pleased to offer our Honu Concierge OB™ membership program for mothers-to-be who desire a truly personalized antepartum, labor, delivery, and postpartum care experience that can include options such as an ultrasound portfolio of your baby, a direct phone number for Dr. Sultan with access to be in touch with her 24/7, an unrestricted number of non-medically required appointments, and priority appointment scheduling.
Start your pregnancy journey off on the right foot by scheduling a preconception counseling appointment today. Contact us at 808.638.3108 to begin optimizing your health and preparing to grow your family in the healthiest way possible.